- Join, Give
- Write Us
Welcome! Bienvenue! Croeso! Willkommen! Welkom! Bienvenidos! 欢迎! Benvenuto! Ласкаво просимо! आपका स्वागत है ! Ngamukelekile!
You are very welcome at the Shaker Historical Society! Founded in 1947, The Shaker Historical Society is a non-profit, educational organization committed to preserving our history, educating students of all ages, and interpreting our collections for the benefit of residents and visitors alike. We are proud recipients of a FY2012-2014 Cuyahoga Arts and Culture General Operating Support grant and have recently completed a Strategic Plan, which you may view here. Our mission is to inspire people to celebrate and engage in the story of Shaker Heights… past, present and future.
We welcome everyone to learn about exciting things that make Shaker Heights and this area of Northeast Ohio a wonderful place to live – our art, architecture, gardens, heritage and preservation and an engaged community that has a powerful voice for important issues when they come together for community forums. These things are important to this community and are important to us. If you are not a member, please consider joining us and know that you are contributing to preserving the legacy of the Shakers of North Union, the Van Sweringens’ development of Shaker Heights as a model garden city suburb and the peaceful integration of Shaker Heights to name but three reasons to value Shaker Heights on a national and international stage!
What we do for Shaker Heights and Greater Cleveland:
- Preserve and exhibit collections of artifacts, documents and photographs
- Educate students of all ages about early life in historic Shaker Heights
- Celebrate our history and architecture through community events and programs
- Collaborate with the City of Shaker Heights and other local groups to preserve and protect Shaker Heights’ historic buildings and scenic landscapes
- Bring art from Northeast Ohio to your doorstep on South Park Blvd in the Lissauer Gallery
The Shaker Historical Society is located at 16740 South Park Boulevard in Shaker Heights, Ohio. Here, we display artifacts, documents and photographs from our collections; provide information on Shaker Heights’ history and current events, and host educational programs. We also operate a small gift shop offering our publications, Shaker gifts, and local wares.
Please stop by and visit soon!
Also, we are going GREEN with our member newsletters! If you would like to see what we have been doing, please follow these two links and let us know what you think.
- Summer 2014 http://www.flipsnack.com/98A75F7D75E/the-journal-the-shaker-historical-society-newsletter-summer-201.html
- Spring 2014, Vol I. http://www.flipsnack.com/98A75F7D75E/fzhfrm3m & Vol. II http://www.flipsnack.com/98A75F7D75E/fu3ldi5i
Save the Date!
- January 27, 2015Conversion > Conversation Recent painting from Matthew Dibble
- February 10, 2015Out of the Closet: Rarely seen textiles from our collection
- March 10, 2015Nature & Design by Lari Jacobson
- April 5, 2015Easter- Museum Closed
Tagsactivities Add new tag art artifacts artist Blog centennial cleveland collections Collections Current Exhibit Education education event Events events exhibit exhibits Exhibits food Gracious Gardens of Shaker Heights History history intern internship Library and Archives Lissauer Art Gallery museum News Past Exhibits Permanent Exhibits programs shaker shaker heights Shaker Historical Society shakers terminal tower textiles Tour tour van sweringen van sweringens Virtual Tour wool