In 1910 Daniel Reamer (1871-1926) designed this residence for Louis and Blanche Myers. Here, they raised their two sons, Eugene and Frank. One of the first homes built in the new development by the Van Sweringen brothers, the Myers also accessed their property via a drive on Shaker Boulevard.
In 1969, Frank Myers, who was also a SHS trustee, donated his family home to the Society so that it may have a permanent home to host lectures, produce exhibits and to teach people about the incredible history of the Shakers of North Union. Prior to 1969, the Society met in private homes, produced exhibits in Shaker Schools and help to found the local history collection of the Shaker Heights Public Library.
The 12 founding trustees first met on September 15th, 1947 and by October 15th the trustees were nominated and approved. Every October 15th going forward we now celebrate Founders Day and invite residents of Shaker Heights, Shaker Square, Cleveland Heights, Gates Mills and Chagrin Falls to visit our museum for free - as our founding trustees all lived in these Cleveland suburbs.
In addition to our current Board of Trustees, we also have two affiliate members from the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes and the Shaker Heights Public Library to ensure that we are in touch with our local partners. We also have a Community Advisory Board who meets to approve of our exhibits and programs.
The Shaker Historical Society is a non-profit organization, established in 1947 to provide stewardship for our region's significant history by nurturing respectful discovery, preservation, collection, and public dissemination of the history, traditions, and heritage of the Shaker sect, Shaker Heights, Warrensville Township, and the surrounding areas.
The home of The Shaker Historical Society is situated on the grounds of the former North Union Center Family's apple orchard and vegetable garden and was the former home of Louis Myers, a real estate agent for the Van Sweringen Company, and his wife, Blanche. From the Myers Mansion we operate a museum, a public research library and archives, an art gallery, a local gift shop and community garden beds.